2014年11月21日 星期五

Wall Dives in Cabilao, Bohol, Philippines

I went to Bohol on November 7, 2014. Because I have dived around Balicasag Island near Panglao for three time, I decided to go to Cabilao Island which is located in the west of Bohol Island. I stayed at La Estrella Beach Resort with Cabilao Dive Center. I will share about the resort and the dive center later.

























Day 1

1st dive
I arrived in Cabilao Island in the afternoon. I had nothing to do so decided to do one dive to check my gears. The dive site was Gorgonia Wall which is 5 minutes away from the beach by small banca. Like the name, it's a steep drop-off. We went down to 29 meters and the dive master found a pygmy seahorse on a sea fan. And it's also lucky that I shoot a yawning Scorpion Fish afterward. 
















Day 2

2nd dive
We departed from the dive center at 8am and reached to the dive site named Fallen Tree after 15 minutes. It starts with the slope and changes into the wall in around 20 meters. The wall is covered by many soft and hard corals, however, I didn't see many big fish swimming in the coral reef. There are only two sanctuaries around Cabilao Island, and other areas are open for fishing. We swam back to shallow slope after 25 minutes dive time. DM found a big Hairy Squat Lobster, so I could take a clear shoot by my 14-42mm kit lens.















3rd dive
This dive was in Light House. I had more interest in this site before I went there, because according to the internet, this dive is for muck dive and the slope reaches to 20 meters deep. However, the muck dive here is different from Dauin because there are many corals scattering on the sandy seabed. During this dive, DM found two candy crabs as what I requested.















4th dive
The dive site is Germany Ave. which is 10 minutes away from the shore. It's also a wall dive. I didn't see something very special(or say I wasn't able to take some good pictures).















5th dive
This was a night dive in Night House. We stayed in the shallow sandy slope which maximum depth was 18 meters. Night dive is always more attractive to me, because not only can see some sleeping fishes, also can see some nocturnal creatures. The special stuffs we saw were Volute, Mantis Shrimp, Decorator Crab, and Reptile Snake Eel.

















Day 3

6th dive
Another two divers joined our group on that day, and they requested to have wall dive. No problem! Most of the dives there are wall dives. I set my lens on 14mm and planned to take some pictures of the corals since it's a wall dive again . The dive site was Looc Pier. When I was waiting for another two divers to jump on the surface, I saw two Napoleon wrasses swimming next to the reef. The scene was so beautiful even though they were far away from me. We reached to 25 meters during this dive, and the visibility was not too good which was 15 to 20 meters.

















7th dive
This dive was in Current View Point. DM said it's the place for searching Hammerhead Shark 20 years ago. Let me say it again, it's 20 years ago. There is a sandy flat area after the wall in the depth of 30 meters. We used the air tanks, so we just stayed in the flat for about 10 minutes and ascended to the shallower coral reef. Aside from some coral pictures, I didn't take too many during this dive. According the DM, the school of Jackfish or Barracuda shows up in this dive site sometimes.















8th dive
This dive in the afternoon was in Three Coco which was a wall dive as well. DM said he would find another Pygmy Seahorse, so we went down to 25 meters. He searched on couple of the sea fans but wasn't able to find one. During the dive, we saw a turtle swimming to the surface in distance. I felt my camera was so empty, so I took few shoots of Anemone Fish to finish the dive.




















9th dive
This dive was a night dive in Fallen Tree. We only stayed in shallow area above 16 meters. We saw a decorator crab and a sea cucumber crab at the first, and my camera ran out the battery after 20 minutes. Haha~ And then, I saw Long Nose Shrimp, Cuttlefish, Sponge Crab, and more. What a pity!!
















Day 4

10th dive
This morning we dove in Talisay Tree which is also a drop-off coral reef. The maximum depth of our dive was 30 meters. DM found a small cowrie on a red soft coral. It's very small and hard to be focused, so I applied manual focus to take this shoot.





















11th dive
The dive was in Cambaquiz 1. This site starts with a long sandy slope. I expected to see something different from the coral reef, however, we only found a flounder. There is a small boat wreck in 20 meters. I felt there must be something unique and small in it. In fact, there was a big turtle resting in the boat. We see things bigger underwater, but I believe this one is about 2 meters long. It's kind of exciting to see a big guy unexpectedly. After the boat wreck, we ascended and met the coral reef. I took few more shoots and finished this dive.















12th dive
This night dive in Light House was my last dive of the trip. We also stayed in the slope above 18 meters. DM also guided us to the mantis shrimp for another diver. He said it was already there 5 years ago when he started to be a guide in Cabilao. Because of the encounter of that long nose shrimp last night, I was focusing on every reflection from creatures' eyes. Unluckily, I couldn't find one anymore. Some interesting stuffs I saw were Hydroid Decorator Crab, Stargazer, Reptile Snake Eel, and Hinge-beak Shrimp.
























Conclusion
I didn't go to the sanctuaries during these 12 dives, so I don't know if there are a lot of big fishes(ex. Sweetlips, Batfish, Grouper). I feel there is no extremely unique stuff to see, however, the coral reef in Cabilao is nice. It might be a good choice if you enjoy wall diving and want to see beautiful corals. If you are a macro critters lover, you may need to go there in a right season. For your reference, April and May are the best according to the local dive master.

沒有留言:

張貼留言